Average Adult Size:
- 12mm – 15mm (Although queens can be slightly larger).
- Possible stings to humans however these are rarely experienced unless threatened,
- Can attack in swarms if disturbed or threatened.
- Egg, Larva, Pupa, Adult,
- The queen will produce thousands of eggs throughout spring & summer each year within the colony,
- Many different strains of the pest can be found worldwide.
- Colonies usually contain a queen bee & thousands of sterile worker bees & can survive for many years,
- A very social insect forming colonies within cut outs & hollows occurring in nature,
- A very beneficial insect in the process of pollination,
- Can effect both domestic & commercial properties.
- Chemical treatment in emergency situations.
- Generally collected by the Bee Keepers Association.